Monday, November 8, 2010

When It Began


It was on a bright sunny morning 47 years ago on Thursday 7 November, 1963 that I reported for duty as a broadcaster at the Malay Service of Radio Malaysia in Federal House, Kuala Lumpur.

Being in the temporary post of Broadcasting Assistant Grade II (BA2) I reported straight to the Head of Service, the late Abu Bakar Ahmad, himself a prominent broadcaster in his younger days. After sorting out the formalities I was introduced to his assistant the Programme Organiser the late Jamaliah Long and the rest of their staff. I did not realise then that the post was in the middle-rung of the hierarchy of the Service.

I was then despatch to the administrative division of the Department of Radio Malaysia to sort the official documentation where I had to produce the original of my identification and education certificates to be verified and documented in my Service Book by the Chief Clerk the late Mr Sinathamby. Obviously it was a tedious job compared to today’s computerisation and usage of the IT technology. Photostat machine or scanner was unheard then.

Then I was given a few Medical Examination forms and a letter to the General Hospital for their execution. I was given time off to go to the hospital. Luckily my residence at that time was at Circular Road (the present Jalan Tun Razak) within walking distance. So I don’t have to waste time travelling. It was a whole day affair and the result came a week later. It was positive which mean I am a bona fide staff of Radio Malaysia on a temporary basis.

I started my actual working day the following Monday with observation being termed as “double banking” with my new colleagues who were eager to share their experiences. The new staff did not have the benefit of a formal training at the Centre as today. We were only given specific guidelines to perform our function.

 I did my best to shine in my job for the next 32 years.


No comments:

Post a Comment